Thursday, October 3, 2013

Carrion to Terradios de Los Teplarious. Day 19

Okay, another rainy day. We had about an hour of sun (at sunrise) which was quite fantastic. The different shades of brown, gold and green were quite amazing. Then it lit up a hay stack ( they are quite large) to a shiny gold. Unfortunately, mt phone was buried deep to keep it dry so no photos. 
I did, however, finally get a photo of a snail. There are many with much prettier shells than this one. We all watch our steps so as not to crush them. 

Yesterday I saw a crayfish -- no kidding!  I've never seen one landlocked before. It looked like a tiny lobster. 
A dry moment. Soon after I was pulling back on my rain pants and cinching my hood in close. We all agree that goretex is over rated. None of us is dry at the end of the day and it's not sweat... Not that much moisture. Even my feet are damp inside my boots. LLBean will be hearing from me when I return about the jacket !  

This is what it looks like walking the meseta. Long and endless. Not too bad, actually because the landscape is interesting. 
During the dry spell I stopped for a snack (breakfast sort of) and shared with two Irish men who navigated us out of Carrion in the pitch black. And it sure was dark this morning. After the 17 km I finally reached a village for breakfast. Coffee and a tortilla. Perfect. Outside the cafe was a donkey!  Some pilgrim bought this donkey/mule for four euro and is walking the camino with it. From what I hear he was pulling it along at one point and carrying his own backpack!  A lot if good that mule is! 

Stopped at this albergue Templaros, which is quite nice except for the plastic on the bed and pillow. There have been plenty if places with plastic, but this feels especially cold and clammy with the rain. Yes, I have a cover for the pillow.  

Met a couple from North Carolina, Elena and Steve, and Edwin from Gorham, NH.  We had dinner together. Edwin is pushing pretty hard to get to Santiago to meet his wife who will be joining him there. 

During dinner I noticed a lot of lightning through the window. It kept going and going and before we knew it we were outside watching an amazing light show in the distance. None if us has ever seen anything like it. For over a half an hour there was lightning going in all different directions as well as flashes that lit up the sky. 

Tomorrow it is supposed to rain again so we are taking a cab to Sahagun. Edwin will stay there for the night and Elena, Steve and I will take a train to Leon. Entering Leon can be pretty dangerous from what I have read. This gives me a jump ahead so I will be able to make it to Finisterre before heading home. 

That's all for now. More photos soon  

Buen camino. 
 
P .S.  Everything is so wet and nothing will dry. I am now hanging things from the bunk above me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment