Saturday, October 19, 2013

Santiago to Fisterra (Finisterre) Day 35

None of us ventured out last night to meet in front of the cathedral for a group dinner; the rain was coming down in torrents. Fortunately our hotel served both drinks and dinner. Good times were had over wine in the pilgrim lounge (the only spot with wifi ). 

Lucette and I hopped in a cab to the bus station for the 9:00 to Finisterre. When we got in the bus I was decked out in full rain gear and pack cover. By the thine the bus arrived in Cer, where I jumped off, my rain pants were packed away. A few minutes on the camino and my jacket was stashed as well. 

Michele and Sarah chose not to join us due to the rain. They will be sorely disappointed when the see the photos of the beach and ocean under a blue sky !  

The walk from Cee, about 12 km, was mostly on road, but well worth the views as I walked along the shore. Entering Fisterra I was faced with a most difficult decision:  stay on the camino along the beach or walk barefoot in the sand for a couple of kilometers. I sat on a bench contemplating my choices over a sandwich I made at breakfast. Of course, the decision was not a difficult one to make. 

At the end of the beach is my albergue. Holy Cow. Ten euros and I am on a bottom bunk looking out at the sea. I'm not sure it can get much better than that as far as albergues are concerned. Thank heaven for the tip from a fellow pilgrim in Santiago!  

Met Gabrielle who arrived yesterday and we walked to the harbor for a cafe con leche (for her ) and a beer (for me) after which I took another walk on the beach looking for St Jacques--scallop shells. 

All showered and laundry hanging to drmy and I took a walk, bought some sandwich fixings for tomorrow and now I am enjoying a glass of vino tinto as I look out over the harbor. Unfortunately dinner is not served until 7:00. Another hour...

I am so glad that I made it here even if I only walked a fraction of the 90 km to get here. The ocean is such a magnet never mind the lore surrounding St. James that exists here and in Muxia (my next destination). 

Tomorrow I will explore, walk to the lighthouse and rest up for the 28 km walk to Muxia. 

Buen camino. 

Leaving Muxia. The group of people on the photo were so friendly and upbeat wishing me a Buen camino and steering me in the right direction. 

Muxia
Muxia
Still Muxia 
Leaving Muxia up a huge hill. There are palm trees, the plants, evergreens and eucalyptus trees all in the same area. 

These are all stone in this area. 



Almost there 

A woman at a scenic pull off offered to take a photo of me. 
Deserted beach. I was tempted , but it would have been a strep hike back up. 
Yes, I took this one. 
My view when eating lunch on a bench. At the end of this beach is Fisterra. 
Yes!!!  My feet were so very happy. 

View from my albergue. 
Gabrielle from Vancouver Island Canada. She is at the same albergue. 
Yup, stairs to the water. 


Harbor 

View from where I am having dinner and writing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment