Monday, October 14, 2013

Portomarin to Palas de Rei. Day 31

Okay, I will admit that I am finally tired of walking, walking, walking. I'm debating on whether to walk the 90 km to Finisterre or taking the bus part way and then walking. That would give me an extra day in Santiago and time to relax in Finisterre. Then I could walk to Muxia before bussing back to Santiago, meet up with friends and then on to Madrid and home. HOME!!  

As much as my legs are stronger they, or my knees or my feet, will keep me up at night with aches and pains. How on Earth the pilgrims of ancient times pulled this off is beyond me. Many didn't make it or if they did they didn't return home. Their faith must have been so very strong to commit to this journey in the name of God. 
Even more interesting are the stories of those who committed their lives to helping pilgrims. These people are honored all along the camino and some have towns named after them. 

Today I am in a relatively large town--population 1,300. Many are larger, but many are much smaller. Raban has a population of 73!  El Acebo of 37. Ruitelan 23. 

I left quite early today-6:40. Gary was up drinking tea but the others were still asleep. I had quite a peaceful walk. Of course it was dark until about 8:00. I stopped for breakfast, stopped for coffee, and stopped for OJ to use the restroom and find out where this albergue is. I was the first to artive at the albergue so I am showered and my washing is done. I've had a salad and am waiting for Sarah, Michele, Cindy, and Gary to arrive. 

CNN today said the word of the day is hope. I was listening to music during the last 8 k and there was a song that said when we walk with hope we don't walk alone. Interesting thought. 

Here are photos from today's walk. 

Statue in Portomarin. 

Another grain storage. 




More great scenery once the fog lifted. 

I liked this wall. 


Sculpture 




Have no idea what this is. 

Great birthday dinner with my Camino friends. We will all walk into Santiago together in three days. Wow. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Terry, the knitting teacher of the Knit Happy classes. You have been popping into my mind now and again, this time when I finally dug out your blog address and am now all caught up on your Way. I am in awe of the commitment and your perseverance. Be well and be blessed as you continue, I'm keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all my love.............take the bus!!!!

    beth

    ReplyDelete