Friday, October 4, 2013

Leon to Villavente. Day 21

Left our albergue early and caught a cab to Virgen de Camino -about 8. Km out of the city so we didn't have to walk through the industrial section. We met Pablo, from Canada, whose family is from Santiago. He helped us with the cab, had coffee with us in Virgen de Camino and then went on his way. 

I left Sarah and Michele with plans to meet up here in Villavente. I walk faster and for some reason don't stop as often.

It was a nice walk today--full of sun, which was quite welcome after all the torrential rain we had. Too bad I lost my sunscreen. After walking a path for a shirt while the majority if the walking was on a long long road. I did stop for a Coke (yes, a real Coke!) and to fix up a blister on my baby toe. Very uncomfortable. Tomorrow I will stop at a pharmacy for a little foam tube to put over it at the suggestion of a fellow pilgrim who checked it out. Moleskin just isn't cutting it. 

The alternative to walking the road was to walk alongside the highway in a path. Yuck. Mind you, on these back roads running through acres and acres of farmland the cars and small trucks travel at speeds worthy of the highway. A bit scary at times. 

The last four kilometers were on a dirt road which was much better. My feet hurt though, my toes hurt (why do those second toes have to be longer than the big toes?), and I was getting pretty hungry. 

Had lunch here at the albergue (same old tortilla) with a Catholic priest from northen England who is on sabbatical. He has been walking for 48 days having begun in Le Puy, France. 

This albergue, the Santa Lucia, is phenomenal. 

My first glimpse. 

The dorm. Actually quite nice. Wooden bunks with space to sit up on the bottom!
 The front. It doesn't look like much but it is great. 

Sarah and Michele before dinner. 

Relaxing on a couch. Last couch I sat on was at home. 

Dinner was great. A salad and fish with fries. The fish was not fried. The salads here for the most part all have lettuce, tomatoes, tuna, white asparagus , tuna, and olives. Sometimes there is shredded carrot and shredded beets. I have had fish many times and it has always been really good and really fresh. Fries are served with everything. Andrew would love it. 

Here are some photos from waking today and from around this very small town. 










No comments:

Post a Comment