Thursday, October 17, 2013

O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostella

WOW
Gerard and I left our albergue at 7:20, stopped for coffee, OJ, and a croissant and then headed out in the dark for Santiago. 18 or 20 km depending on the guide book or the markings. At one point we had 11 km to go for three, maybe four, kilometers!  When we stopped for a second cup of coffee, Carmen (who served us) assured us it was eleven. We think she was correct and the other markers incorrect. 

When we left the streets were dry and we could see a few stars; this was a welcome sight after the two previous days of rain. Some of my things still havent dried out. 

It seemed as though the closer to Santiago we were, the faster we walked. Gerard, who began his camino in Le Puy, France, has now walked 1522 km. it seemed as though it took a very very long time to get through the city to the cathedral. The closer we were, the more difficulty I had keeping up with him. He was a man on a mission. 

Yes, I did she'd some tears upon arriving at the cathedral square. We took pictures, absorbed the reality of it as much as we could (after all we've been arriving in new towns every day--could this really be the end?) and then set out for lunch. 

We found a nice spot outside and had Spanish omelettes (tortilla--egg and potato like a frittata), a glass of vino tinto and some water. It was then off to the pilgrim office for my Compostella. Gerard won't get his until tomorrow since tomorrow is a holy day. Something to do with St. Luke. And there was no line!  After shedding a few more tears of joy, I had my Compostella. 

I am now in a small albergue not too far from the cathedral. I've explored some, had a second lunch, booked a room at a real hotel for tomorrow night and will now rest. 

Tonight we are all meeting at the Parador. (an extremely upscale hotel) for a drink before dinner. 

Tomorrow is more exploring and the pilgrims' mass. Gerard is hoping he can partake in the mass--perhaps reading a prayer in English. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for him. We are also hoping they use the huge incense burner tomorrow. (The huge incense burner was made to cover the horrible stench of so many pilgrims in one place...not too many places for medieval pilgrims to bathe!). 

I am still working out what to do about Finisterre (the end of the world) and Muxia. A lot depends on the weather. I am also not sure I want to walk 90 km in three days. A bus most of the way to Finisterre and walking the last 10 km may be the answer. Then I can walk to Muxia before returning to Santiago and on to Madrid and home. 

Oh, and today I managed to get a new blister!  It must be the wet boots. Yuck. 

Done marker of some sort. 
Spider web coated with dew. 
Getting closer to the city. 
A wonderful little bridge over a stream that avoided the road. 
A marker in the ground in the cathedral square. 
Gerard and me very sweaty and very happy. 
The camino fashion queen. The knee braces will be chucked before heading home , I can assure you. 
The cathedral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment