Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Palas de Re to Ribadiso. Day 32

Rainy rainy day today so no photos. Regardless, it was a beautiful walk. We had coffee and toast and OJ before leaving tow and then stopped after about 5 k for another cup of coffee. 

The trail was quite crowded , which makes me claustrophobic , so I barreled on without Sarah and Michele. 

Highlights of the day:

A woman selling fruit under a tarp on the side of her barn on the ways. That was one good apple!

The flowers-- purple heather and small yellow flowers on bright green prickly stems mixed together. Wonderfully vibrant colors. 

Old brisges that are shaped as an angle not a curve. 

Cows grazing in their fields. 

A most wonderful omelette on the freshest bread that a woman made in her kitchen that is attached to the bar they run. 

Finally arriving here and having a hot shower, lentile soup and a glass of vino tinto followed by a nice cream on a stick while our clothes are being washed and dried. 

The only downside of this stretch of the camino is that when I do find an open church, it is noisy with pilgrims getting their credentials stamped. Not conducive to quiet time. 

At the point in the camino we are supposed to have at least two stamps per day to show that we walked the entire final 100k to Santiago. 

Oh, and LL Bean is going to hear from me!  My super duper Gore-text rain jacket does not keep me dry. I thought maybe it was just a fluke back on the meseta, but my shirt was soaked and the tissues in my zippered pocket were drenched as though I had dropped them in a sink full of water. Very disappointing to say the least. 

Keep your fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow. Right now all our boots are stuffed with newspaper to dry out for tomorrow. The gore-tex in those didn't work so well either. 

Two more days (40k) until Santiago. 

Buen camino. 

2 comments: