Saturday, October 5, 2013

Villavente to Astorga. Day 22

Today was a magic day. It's difficult to put into words , but it topped all days up to now. I followed three Germans out of Villavente (it was pitch black at 7:00 am ) and we made our way to Hospital de Orbiga about  four km away. By the time we arrived it was getting light out. This is where we had breakfast. 
After breakfast we crossed this bridge, which was the sight of some serious medieval jousting. The story is too long to recount here , but it had to do with a woman and the man priving his love--or some such thing. He defeated (broke) 300 lances!  The bridge has 19 arches. The river was much larger before a dam was built. 




This recounts the history of the joists I believe.  
Sun hitting the church. 
I lucked out and the church was open while local women cleaned. A wonderful quiet spot for reflection and prayer. 

Looking up in the church. 
The retablo. 

Organ 
Leaving Hospital de Orbiga. 



The house (?) was built into the side of the hill. I know there are bodegas built into the hills to store wine and other items, but this looked lived in. 

In this part of Spain the hay is rolled. 
This cat greeted pilgrims as we entered the town. 
Down the steps to agua potable. 
This cow was making quite a racket; perhaps because he was the only one who didn't fit at the trough. 
About half way from the last town to Astorga os David's refreshment stand. They offer snacks and drinks to pilgrims at no charge. Fortunately there was a donation box. 
A labyrinth at David's. 
This is Andre who works the stand with David, who had gone into town. When I mentioned that I needed a new pilgrim passport because I had run out of room for stamps, he had those as well!  His is the first stamp. 
The snack stand. 
Amazing how we lose sight of how we actually look while walking the camino. Two pair of shorts, two shirts, one long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, and rain gear. The knee braces are essential after ruining my knees way back in the Pyrenees. 
This is Marty from British Columbia. We walked most of the day together, which was nice. It's the first day I didn't walk alone the whole day. It helped that we walk at the same pace.  Marty moved on to the next town after Astorga. 
YIPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!
Real peanut butter (and organic). What a treat. The last peanut butter I had was Teddie at home before I left home. This was just as good, if not better. I was in heave, sitting in the sun on a beautiful day eating peanut butter at a snack shack run by two men who do it out of love for God to help the pilgrims. Another magic moment to my already magical day. 
Renee and IZ from Australia. 
Arrows leading the way. 
The cross before Astorga. The city is in the background. Only four km to go. 
This man was singing on the hill near the cross. He required a donation to have a picture taken with him. 
Pilgrim statue in Astorga. 
Astorga sights. 

City square. 
The cathedral 



The best potatoes ever with aoli. 


Gaudi's castle... Built for a bishop who never lived there. Became a camino museum. 


After visiting the cathedral and the castle I visited the chocolate museum. I have plans to take the chocolate home, but it weighs a bit. Hopefully I will find a PO and be able to send it to Santiago where I can collect it before returning home. If not, we may have to eat it!  

We are cooking dinner tonight-- pasta if course. 

Tomorrow begins the ascent into the mountains. 

Buen camino. 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Carrie, this is Kate from Toronto. Thank you for this beautiful post about a day on the Camino. As you know, we (me, Rachel and Stephanie) went home from Burgos. I am envious of you and your continuing journey. Please enjoy every day. Coming home is hard. Things seems so busy. best Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember David! What a great pilgrim stand! My friend Kim and I were having a long bad day that day and he was a gift. Had the best veggie salad EVER. - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete