Saturday, September 28, 2013

Burgos to San Bol day 14

No, you most likely will not find San Bol on a map. This albergue is in between mesetas in a valley. There is electricity for a couple of horrs while dinner is served and cleaned up. 

It was a long walk today--about 26 km--which would not have been bad except now I have a pull in my left calf above the Achilles. The pain would come and go. 

I met up with Sarah before leaving Burgos and we had a croissant and coffee before heading out. Finding our way out of the city was not easy. Finally we reached quieter streets and paths. Eventually we parted ways because we walk at different paces and she was stopping after 11 km to have a short day and I was walking till I needed to stop. 

The meseta is interesting. Raised plateaus with small valleys in beyween. At least that's how it was today. 

When I stopped to buy an apple the gentleman running the cafe gave me a medal of the saint of that town to wear. When I stopped again, the owner made sure I had my credential stamped by him because it not only had the store name but also how many kilometers to Santiago. Under 500 is what I remember. 

I kept on walking. I passed through where many pilgrims were staying hoping to get to San Bol and get a bed. Not to worry. 

San Bol is not a town. It is an albergue on a valley all by itself. When I arrived there was one other person there (I cannot pronounce his name never mind spell it).  He is French Canadian and very animated. The albergue was due to open at two. At exactly two, Felix showed up and opened the door. We were quite relieved because it is so deserted here and I for one did not want to walk another five k!  

There is a small pool here fed by a stream. Legend has it that if one soaks one's feet in the pool no more foot problems!  I soaked for a long time--until my feet were frozen!  It felt so good. 

It's 9:00 and I am tired so I will finish this tomorrow. It was such a fun night. 

Back again... There were seven of us at San Bol. We all opted for the home cooked meal our host provided for a mere 7 euro. As we were eating two more pilgrims arrived. FC (my new Drench Canadian friend) kept the dinner conversation moving as he is very animated and speaks French , English and Spanish. When the others joined us, things became even more animated. The gentleman who arrived was telling a story with the woman who just arrived about how he asked her to help him push his bike up the hill. None of us was sure why he needed help...  He and FC knee some of the same songs and before we knew it we were all singing a silly song with hand movements. I am looking forward to receiving the photo of us all. 

When our host left for the night, he turned on two lanterns, turned off the generator , and we were plunged into darkness. Total darkness were it not for the lanterns.   

Buen camino 



1 comment:

  1. The whole meeting people and hanging out together is exactly what I imagined; the shared goal is what does it. But it's great that you walk alone so much, because that is when you get to think. Keep on Tuckin'!

    ReplyDelete