Saturday, September 21, 2013

Estella to Los Arcos. Day 7

Sent my pack ahead to spare my knee to no avail.  
I know a pilgrimage is not designed to be easy but I was unprepared for the emotional see-saw I sometimes find mysf on. As I was hobbling along I was really questioning myself and why I am here attempting to walk to Santiago as thousands of pilgrims before me have. Then I find a church and sit and think or I see the beauty of where I am and I remember that it is about the journey and all that I will gain from it. It is all very humbling. 


I woke up early so I was on the road by 6:30 walking in the dark trying to find my way. It isn't always easy!  



Those are just a few of the signs we follow on The Way.   There was a full moon to walk by.  


Not too far along is the Irache vineyard where there is both water and wine for the taking. I was there early enough to have a sip, but that's all -- it was 7:00 am!  Yes, those are knee braces. The left knee needed the brace; the right knee is in preservation mode.  


Rested here with fellow pilgrims Natalia and Z. His name is too difficult to pronounce never mind spell. They are fromBulgaria. He is a lawyer and she just graduated. They thought the camino would be a nice walk....lite did they realize how difficult it would be!  Made me feel better--a couple of young adults feeling the pain just as I am!  Misery does love company, it is true. 
Lots of kittens looking for food. 

Could not figure out how this dog got up there until we passed by and saw an opening. 

First sight of Villamayor de Monjardin

We think this is a well. There are steps down to water. 


Not sure what this building once was at the top of the hill but we did see a few ruins at the tops of hills that looked like they were for defense. 

Getting closer
The church. Absolutely beautiful inside. Not elaborate. Very simple stone. 
Quite a ways to go to Los Arcos. 
With 5K to go my knee decided it was very unhappy.  It was a long slow walk to Los Arcos. 

Water

Finally!  Found a bed at the municipal albergue. Not the nicest, but it will do. A bottom bunk was what I needed and the private albergue did not have one. Once my pack arrived I showered, washed my clothes (by hand--will they ever really be clean again?), hung them out to dry, rubbed Volteran on my knees and went to find food. 


The cathedral. 




Found Sue and we shared paella and sangria. 
Mass was cancelled due to a funeral, so I sat in the funeral to listen to the choir for a bit. It was all lighted for the funeral. 
Dinner. Pizza and wine with a new friend Carol. Coffee with my Canadian friends. 

1 comment:

  1. Very bummed about your knee, but you seem to be hanging in there. Thinking of you every day.

    ReplyDelete