Sunday, September 29, 2013

Itera de Vega to Poblacion de Campos. Day 16

17-18 km today. Rained a bit and then threatened for the rest of the trek. Didn't leave till about 8:30 this morning; I am trying to beat this chest cold. 

This is a church just outside Boadilla de Camino. 


I stopped here for breakfast. Wow!  I had a ham egg and cheese on bread that was freshly made. Usually bocadillas are pre-made. This was fabulous. 

This is a statue outside the cafe. 

 

The door of the church here --not open. 



Check out this bird's nest!  
On the way to Fromista I walked along a canal. It was really pleasant. 

After Fromista was the sculpture  I took pictures if both angles. It is amazing how many statues of pilgrims there are on the camino. 

Just before entering tow I saw this church. The thing is, most churches are closed especially on the mornings. This being Sunday, I took a chance and was able to catch the last half of mass. Lovely small church. Very simple. It is these small simple churches that speak to me of God. I don't see God on the huge elaborate (costly) cathedrals. I don't think that's what Jesus was all about. 
Very cool lantern holder. 
Today I splurged on a small hotel. This is pure luxury. A bathroom to myself with room to dry off!  Toilet paper!  A sink with hand soap and real towels!  
Not to mention the bed. Real sheets. I may never get out of it!  
When I arrived I was given a glass if orange juice, then some sausage and bread (small snack ) And then a glass of red wine. I feel so very pampered. Going back to an albergue tomorrow night won't be easy. 

Tomorrow is another relatively short day. The next day begins with 17km with no towns along the way. Yuck. Have to be prepared for that. Leave early and have extra water and food with me. 


1 comment: