Sunday, September 15, 2013

Orisson to Espinal Day 2

Wow. So much to tell. No wifi yesterday so I could not post. I hiked 7.7 km to Orisson, which was a difficult hike in the heat and sun, but oh so very beautiful. Sending my pack on ahead was a very wise decision and I thank Joseph for being adamant about doing so. Before heading out I explored the citadel and bought a scallop shell for my pack and a hiking stick (that I left behind today).  
After a beer and some laughs with Michelle and her friends (now mine as well) mani and Rene I walked back 2 km to Katola where I was staying.  After cleaning up and washing my clothes I walked back to Orisson it looked like it might rain so I bought a sandwich for dinner (same as I had for lunch) and headed back to Kayola rather than stay for dinner. 
Met Fal and Grace from Jacksonville. Lovely couple who are taking nine weeks to walk. They shared their Jiff peanut butter & chocolate spread YUM crackers and cheese. We hung out enjoying the view looking back to St Jean. Bed early. 
Early start today up and up and up and up some more. Very glad that my pack went on without me!  Saw many sheep and horses up high. At one point I heard bells--lots of them and looked up to see a whole herd of sheep running down the hillside toward me. There were also Griffon Vultures and cows. One forest reminded me of Sherwood Forest except it was on a steep hill. It was the kind of day when I just kept stopping and looking back and around at the mountains. There was no sun--walking in the clouds. Fabulous.  
Arrives at Roncevalles having taken the left turn (not recommended due to steepness) by accident. Yikes. My bag arrived about an hour after I did; it was oy 1:00 so I walked on to Espinal. Wonderful private albergue (I wasn't too keen on staying at Roncevalles with 100 others) where I pay 2Euro extra for a bed rather than a bunk and 3euro to have my laundry done!  Very happy about that since my socks did not dry last night.
Tomorrow I will walk till I feel it is time to stop. I have great ambitions but my pack is heavy so I will take it slowly and play it by ear. Home cooked meal tonight here at the albergue. I am truly looking forward to that after three of the same sandwiches--2 yesterday and 1 today. 
Oh, there was a man up I the mountains selling food. That hard boiled egg was fabulous!


1 comment:

  1. I want that picture of you! On my wall! For bragging rights!

    ReplyDelete