Saturday, September 21, 2013

Bus to Navarette Day 8

My knee being as uncooperative as it is, I took a bus today through Logrono to Navarette. Surprise surprise--my Canadian friends were doing the same thing to avoid Logrono and the wine fest taking place there. You are probably wondering why. Too many peoe and very crowded albergues. Actually this is the busiest fall on the camino ever and arriving in a town too late could mean sleeping on the floor--or on a massage table as Sarah had to do last night!  No, a massage did not come with it. (Many of the municipal albergues offer massages for a very reasonable price.). 

Tonight is the festival of the Virgin Mary. There is also a pilgrim's mass at 8:00. The church (cathedral?) here is another amazing example of opulence. For one euro the lights will turn on to show one just how glittery it is. (See photo) 

Had an amazing piece of cold pizza at a tapas bar. It was on phyllo dough with tomatoes mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Wow. Tonight we are all cooking together. Tomorrow morning I will decide whether to walk 8k with my pack or24 without it. Will look at the elevation.  Too many descents will put me back on a bus and I am anxious to get back into the rhythm of the camino. 

Soon we will be walking the meseta which is long, flat and with little shade. 

Burn camino! 

No comments:

Post a Comment