Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Larrasoana to Cizur Menor. Day 4

The local restaurant in Larrasoana served a wonderful pilgrim's meal. We had a choice of salad, pasta or garlic soup (looked fabulous). Beef stew or fish (excellent fish) and rice pudding, apple or ice cream for dessert. Wine and water. The salads here have tuna on them. (Just had one for lunch with my meal). I ordered chicken today and it's chicken fingers and fries!  Sarah and Andrew would love it. With wine, of course. Have not had a bad glass yet. 

This morning the albergue came alive by 6:00 am, which meant I was on my way by 6:30. It was pitch black out-thank heaven for my headlamp. Alice and I walked together for quite a while, but I stopped for breakfast and she kept on. I love the Spanish tortillas... Eggs baked with potatoes or whatever they feel like adding. This particular cafe had a wood burning stove in which they heated up our food. 

This section of Spain is very hilly--did I mention how difficult the down sections are?  Painful. Up is easier by a longshot. I was convinced that I would stop in Pamplona only to meet up with the two who I followed past Zubiri to Larrasoana yesterday!  Yes, I once again pushed on another five K to Cizur Menor. Five K doesn't seem like much until one factors in the over weight pack strapped to my back. 

May take a bus back to Pamplona to do little sightseeing though that depends on whether or not I fall asleep. Tired takes on new meaning on the camino. 

The albergue here is wonderful. Small rooms for about nine, a common room with kitchen and Internet and driers!!!!!  That means my socks won't be hanging off my pack tomorrow. Boys and girls bathrooms are separate, which is nice. 

Annabel and I were talking on our way here today from Pamplona and agreed that when we were planning our trips we didn't fully comprehend how difficult a journey this is physically. Maybe that will change over time as our bodies grow accustomed to the work. Time will tell. 

.....hours later....
After lunch saw my young friends waiting for the bus to Pamplona. Joined them for an afternoon walk around the city. Did see the cathedral and the statue of Ernest Hemingway outside where the bullfights are held. 

Tonight we are cooking in--spaghetti and jarred sauce. Bread and wine. There is a nice yard here where all the pilgrims are hanging out and enjoying themselves. Sue from SJPP, who I met at the citadel, is here. 

Buen Camino. 

1 comment: