Sunday, September 15, 2013

St Jean to Orisson (Kayola) Day 1

I will have to post this tomorrow when I get wifi.
Had time to walk around St Jean this morning.  Explored the Citadel, which was built to protect the area from Spanish invasion. Met Sue who is waiting for friends to arrive and will set out tomorrow. 
Suffice it to say that sending my pack ahead of me was a very wise choice. (Convinced Sue to do the same!). Only 7.7 km yet very steep in places. Tomorrow will be worse!  I walked to Orisson and had a beer with Michelle and her (now my) Friedman Manom and Rene also from Canada. Grabbed my pack and headed back from whence I came to Kayola where I am staying. Orisson is more expensive and when I made the reservation I was feeling thrifty. Didn't realize I would have a steep climb up to dinner!  Will have to carry my pack in the morning for the transfer, but it's worth it. 
Amazing people. I understand what Stephanie meant about meeting people and wanting to spend more time with them, but we all walk our own camino and can only hope to bump into each other again later.  
Part of being here is letting go of what is happening at home--not worrying or sending home reminders. It's not easy. Rene threatened to throw away my phone when we were talking about it. Maybe it is a good thing that I cannot receive any texts or emails today. 
Blissfully quiet here. Will take the time to enjoy it. Buen Camino. 
I wrote this tester but did not think it saved.  Here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment